Sr. Legal Counsel, Consumer and Business BankingApply Req ID: 2101716 Date posted 04/23/2021
The Sr. Legal Counsel, Consumer and Business Banking provides day-to-day leadership and advice to the Consumer and Business Banking lines of business, with focus on legal issues pertaining to consumer deposit and lending products and services offered in Santander’s retail branches.
- Acts as legal/technical expert providing advice, insights and solutions to clients and consultants on applicable legal/technical and compliance issues affecting products, strategies, programs, plans (design and operations), and practices.
- Analyzes regulatory changes and key policy, legislative and legal developments and issues, and shares advice, insights and solutions with internal and external clients.
- Researches relevant legal issues and technical and industry specific topics.
- Reviews current developments in the area of legal/technical expertise, prepares complex technical analyses and develops advice, insights, and solutions.
- Acts as a subject matter expert (SME) while providing leadership, guidance, and mentorship to other team members.
- Bachelor's Degree, Law / J.D. degree, and active license to practice law in at least one US jurisdiction.
- 9-12 years; Experience practicing law in financial services, bank, or law firm with focus on Consumer Banking regulations and matters.
- Ability to articulate and relay information in an effective and efficient manner.
- Ability to build strong relationships internally and externally.
- Ability to coach and guide others.
- Ability to define problems and collect relevant information.
- Ability to develop strategy and tactics for complex, high profile matters.
- Ability to effectively, efficiently and calmly manage multiple time-sensitive projects.
- Ability to present information clearly and effectively in written and oral form.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information.
- Desire and aptitude to work in a collaborative environment on a team of high-performing legal professionals.
- Excellent drafting, negotiating and counseling skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to provide sound, clear legal advice to senior executives and other senior leaders.
- Expertise handling government and regulatory enforcement actions that involve civil and criminal inquiries directed at large corporations operating in highly regulated industries.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook required.
- Strong ability to identify and solve complex problems.
- Strong sense of urgency with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Brings out the best in each team member by consistently motivating and acknowledging peer contributions
- Understands and leverages team dynamics
- Effectively conveys difficult or complex information in an easy to understand manner, by providing the big picture and illustrating important linkages
- Asks open-ended questions that encourage others to give their points of view
- Ensures that all directs and colleagues have appropriate knowledge of risk and the regulatory environment
- Investigates and identifies the root cause and corrects items deemed non-compliant, regardless of pressures from business or management
- Fully accountable for timeliness, completeness, quality of projects, processes, products and services
- Remains calm and focused on goals while facing pressures, obstacles or short-term setbacks
- Improves relationships between key individuals to achieve seamless cross-team work flow and positively impact results
- Uses informal networks to gain support for ideas and projects
- Keeps up -to-date with external market events, pressures and regulations which may impact the organization and assesses whether similar issues exist in the organization
- Can identify functional and organizational implications associated with major trends
- Designs solutions to address industry activities that impact the organization
- Looks for creative approaches to providing or improving services that may increase efficiency and decrease cost
- Applies customer feedback toward improving and innovating services
- Persists in searching out the root causes of major problems rather than being satisfied with partial solutions or “quick fixes”
- Brings new thinking, insights or technology to problem resolution
- Personally follows-up with others to check on progress, uncover problems, and identify areas where assistance is necessary
- Takes initiative to act on new information and preemptively develops options and plans of actions
- Reformulates the problem in different ways to evaluate it from different angles
- Takes responsibility for and deals effectively with complex and sensitive customer issues and complaints Anticipates customer needs and proactively makes recommendations
Employees desiring consideration should complete an online application, utilizing the appropriate process as subscribed by the posting entity. Employees should provide all pertinent information to support their candidacy.
To be considered eligible for internal posting, Santander employees must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Completion of at least one year of active service in Santander
- Completion of at least twelve months in current position
- Be in “Good Standing”
Please click here to see the full policy - http://thesource.sov.gs.corp/assets/Internal-Recruitment-Guidelines.pdf
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We encourage everyone to apply.
Primary Location: New York, New York, United States
Other Locations: Massachusetts-Boston,New York-New York
Organization: Santander Bank, N.A.