Lower Middle Market Underwriting & Portfolio Management (NY/NJ)Apply Req ID: 2101299 Date posted 03/26/2021
Santander’s Commercial Banking Division is an active provider of capital, treasury management and risk management solutions to thousands of small and mid-sized companies in the northeast and across the country. We also have expertise and provide service to specific industry sectors including real estate, asset based lending, energy, education, health care and government. Our clients rely on the strength of Santander’s balance sheet and the degree to which our relationship managers understand their businesses in order to develop the most relevant and compelling solutions. In addition, Santander’s significant international presence in regions around the world uniquely positions us to help companies grow their business, both near and far.
The Underwriter & Portfolio Manager focuses on support to commercial lending teams. The incumbent provides expertise in underwriting, structuring, servicing and documenting new and renewal credits. In addition, s/he is responsible for identifying, gathering and analyzing relevant information to assess credit risk, establish viability of sources of repayment and determine appropriate loan structures. Acts as lead underwriter in collaboration with bankers in preparing credit approval memos with recommendations consistent with bank policy that illustrate well reasoned analysis. The Sr. Associate, Underwriting & Portfolio Management performs servicing reviews and supports management of the assigned portfolio to identify and minimize risk to the organization. Provides quality customer service, including participation in joint calls on customers, as needed.
- Ensures financial statements are spread and analyzed, addressing industry risks, monitoring collateral requirements, loan structuring and pricing, credit analysis, monitoring credit performance and assisting with loan presentations for the largest and most complex relationships in a portfolio of lower middle market clients
- Expands and builds relationships with a high degree of resultant customer satisfaction
- Handles reporting on loans such as past dues, documentation and collateral exceptions, financial performance updates, portfolio profitability, risk grades, etc.
- Keeps informed of financial and market trends in the portfolio and analyzes those trends for the effect they will have on the portfolio
- Manages and services a portfolio of existing loan relationships.
- Mentor and assist with the professional development of junior underwriters
- Complete assigned special projects within allotted timeframe
- Assists in special projects as assigned
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our work force and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We actively encourage everyone to apply.
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience - Finance, Accounting, Management, Economics or equivalent field. Master's Degree - Finance, Accounting, Management, Economics or equivalent field
9-12 years relevant experience with Financial analysis, structuring, underwriting and portfolio management for clients having $5MM - $50MM in annual revenue with a concentration in C&I cashflow deals
Experience with traditional commercial credit products such as Lines of Credit, Term loans and owner-occupied mortgages up to $7.5MM
Completion of bank-certified course in Credit Training
Comfortable in customer contact situations including escalations and potential work-out/loan restructure environments
Demonstrated knowledge in financial modeling and able to structure credit in modeling environment
Able to assist RM's on how to structure the credit relationship
Demonstrated practical and conceptual knowledge of credit and risk analysis
Exhibits competency at independently reaching conclusions and forms clear view of credit structure and business risk to organization
Knowledge of Federal banking regulations
Must demonstrate strong judgment and sound credit skills
Proficiency with computer systems
Skilled in proposing and negotiating and recommending credit and covenant structures
Solid knowledge of loan and related legal documents
Solid understanding of industry nuances applicable to the credits contained within the group's portfolio
Strong communication skills, and ability to influence others by persuasively presenting thoughts and ideas to gain commitment and agreement for proposed ideas and solutions
Primary Location: New York, New York, United States
Other Locations: New York-New York,New Jersey-Florham Park,New York-New York
Organization: Santander Bank, N.A.