Executive Director, Credit Risk-Warehouse LendingApply Req ID: 2105271 Date posted 10/08/2021
Credit Risk 2nd Line of Defense (Corporate & Investment Banking – Warehouse Lending) is responsible for partnering with the business owners within 1st line of defense Warehouse Lending, Commercial Real Estate and Asset Backed Securitization Management teams. The role is responsible for the development of robust policies and procedures to manage the business, and responsible for developing and maintaining internal risk controls within the business line and/or function area; as well as building and developing strong internal controls capabilities for the first line of defense risk management and within Warehouse Lending business line.
The candidate will provide review and challenge for all proposals related to Warehouse Lending. An understanding of real estate capital markets, specifically Residential Mortgage Capital Markets & RMBS (both agency and non-agency), and structured products is a critical skill set for the role. Additionally, knowledge of commercial Multifamily underwriting and Single Family for Rent underwriting is preferred, along with experience in direct CRE lending and securitization. The candidate will be a subject matter expert in these key sectors, and will have a strong understanding of drivers of the product cycle with loan originators/servicers, understand risk return considerations, and understand the regulatory framework that surrounds the booking of these facilities both domestically and in Europe. The candidate will have experience in structuring and placement of RMBS and other instruments that enhance distribution capabilities related to the product.
Industry experience within the Warehouse Lending sector is required and an understanding of the key risk characteristics of residential mortgage capital markets, RMBS, and multifamily CRE assets is important. The preferred candidate will have a familiarity with Credit, Mortgage/Loan Warehouse, ABS, and Acquisition facilities supporting Private Equity funds with a focus on Real Estate, combined with Direct Lending experience. An understanding of Real Estate Capital Market, including CMBS and RMBS is viewed as essential. The candidate will have strong relationships across the market with loan originators, risk managers, leading banks, and law firms that are established leaders within the sector.
- Responsible for developing robust risk standards, underwriting guidelines, and procedures to manage the business.
- Lead New Product Business Analysis with focus on credit risk underwriting guidelines.
- Ensures and executes ongoing maintenance of controls, mitigation plans, testing, and oversight of Warehouse Lending credit risk assessments
- Identifies new concepts, best practices and approaches related to credit risk management, mitigation, identification and resolution for the product.
- Understands industry best practices, and identifies efficiencies to streamline work processes.
- Leads special risk projects and/or programs, business continuity and other incident response and security related activities supporting Warehouse Lending industry best practices.
- Monitors assigned lending units compliance with credit policy and underwriting standards
- Oversees and ensures consistent quality control, accuracy, and compliance with internal policies and regulatory requirements for reporting processes
- Leads the development of Warehouse lending underwriting standards and guidelines as well as being responsible for the overall credit quality monitoring of portfolios, including the review of delinquencies, risk ratings, industries, etc.
- Partners with the accountable business owner for effective 1st line of defense Risk Management.
- Provides independent oversight of all aspects of credit quality of assigned portfolios, including the daily approval process of individual credits and the formal review process of the portfolio as a whole
- Provides robust review and challenge of all Credit Presentations
- Provides oversights on risk-management content/processes followed by the 2nd line of defense
- Develops robust reporting for line of business and team members to facilitate effective executive management reporting requirements.
- Acts as a subject matter expert (SME) while providing leadership, guidance, and mentorship.
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We encourage everyone to apply.
- At least 8 years within Risk Management, Credit Risk or Internal Audit space, or Financial Industry
- Residential Real Estate Capital Markets and Warehouse Lending experience required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business, Statistics, Finance, Economics or equivalent field
- Ability to analyze risk and design efficient control practices to effectively manage risk.
- Ability to interact with all levels of management, work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize activities, manage conflicts of interest, delegate, and meet deadlines.
- Advanced knowledge of the operational, accounting, credit, regulatory, market and technological risks within the various sectors of Residential Real Estate , Warehouse Lending, and Financial Industry
- Understands Regulatory Framework that governs the sector.
- Demonstrated credit analysis and underwriting skills for understanding / tracking underlying transactions and counter party performance
- Ability to evaluate counter party risk exposures
- Demonstrated knowledge of credit policies and procedures, regulations and applicable law(s)
- Demonstrated track record interacting with the regulators, external and internal audit. Excellent written and verbal communication. Strong presentation skills. Superior project management skills
- Professional network includes business leaders for the sector in loan originators, law firms, and leading institutional firms.
Primary Location: New York, New York, United States
Other Locations: New York-New York
Organization: Banco Santander SA