Middle Market Commercial Banking Underwriter & Portfolio ManagerApply Req ID: 2100123 Date posted 01/12/2021
Santander’s Commercial Banking Division is an active provider of capital, treasury management and risk management solutions to thousands of small and mid-sized companies in the northeast and across the country. We also have expertise and provide service to specific industry sectors including real estate, asset based lending, energy, education, health care and government. Our clients rely on the strength of Santander’s balance sheet and the degree to which our relationship managers understand their businesses in order to develop the most relevant and compelling solutions. In addition, Santander’s significant international presence in regions around the world uniquely positions us to help companies grow their business, both near and far.
The Underwriter & Portfolio Manager manages a portfolio of complex and/or high dollar banking loan relationships, and routinely monitors them for risks inherent in a business loan portfolio. S/he provides support to the manager of the department on continuous improvement initiatives and take the lead on projects that support loan growth and efficiency objectives within lines of business. S/he helps deliver an industry-leading experience for both internal and external customers and acts as a subject matter expert.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Helps to structure commercial middle market transactions
- Leads deal diligence process including identifying all key risks
- Manages legal aspect of deal process
- Mentors junior resources on underwriting best practices, if necessary
- Oversees internal approval process including ensuring accurate and timely completion of internal approval write-ups and leading deal merit discussion on internal approval calls
- Reviews relevant deal documents / information provided in data room, by Company / Sponsor, and third party reports.
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We actively encourage everyone to apply.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience - Finance, Accounting, Management, Economics or equivalent field
- 5-9 years of relevant experience with underwriting middle market loan transactions - financial analysis and structuring
- Completion of bank-certified course in Credit Training preferred
- Ability to foster strong partnerships with the related documentation and underwriting units
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with little supervision
- Ability to work well with others and on teams
- Comfortable in customer contact situations including escalations and potential work-out/loan restructure environments
- Demonstrated knowledge in financial modeling and able to structure credit in modeling environment
- Able to assist RM's on how to structure the credit relationship
- Demonstrated practical and conceptual knowledge of credit and risk analysis
- Exhibits competency at independently reaching conclusions and forms clear view of credit structure and business risk to organization
- Knowledge of Federal banking regulations
- Must demonstrate strong judgment and sound credit skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint,
- Skilled in proposing and negotiating and recommending credit and covenant structures
- Solid knowledge of loan and related legal documents
- Solid understanding of industry nuances applicable to the credits contained within the group's portfolio
- Strong analytical skills and proficient with financial statements
- Strong communication skills, and ability to influence others by persuasively presenting thoughts and ideas to gain commitment and agreement for proposed ideas and solutions
- Superior written and verbal communication skills