Legal Counsel - Commercial BankingApply Req ID: 2104876 Date posted 09/30/2021
Legal Counsel – Banking and Finance Attorney provides day-to-day leadership and advice to various businesses within Santander’s Commercial Bank, including Loan Syndications & Acquisition Finance, Commercial Lending, Supply Chain Finance, Equipment Finance, Government and Not-for-Profit Banking, International Banking and Transaction Banking, including Cash Management, Payments and Deposits.
- Draft, review and negotiate relevant legal documentation.
- Manage legal issues and provide legal guidance to management and relevant business lines.
- Interact closely with Credit, Compliance, Risk and Operations departments to mitigate risk and ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Provide specific advice on relevant laws, rules, regulations and regulatory guidance.
- Participate in industry groups to say abreast of market, legal and regulatory developments.
- Ensure compliance with internal governance.
- Act as legal/technical expert providing advice, insights and solutions to clients and consultants on applicable legal/technical and compliance issues affecting strategies, programs, plans (design and operations) and practices.
- Analyze key policy, legislative and legal developments and issues, and share advice, insights and solutions with internal business and functional clients.
- Research relevant legal issues and technical and industry specific topics.
- Review current developments in the area of legal/technical expertise, prepare complex technical analyses and develop advice, insights, and solutions.
- Act as a subject matter expert while providing leadership, guidance, and mentorship to other team members.
- Assist with the coverage of other Commercial businesses and contribute to Firmwide and Legal Department projects and initiatives.
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We encourage everyone to apply.
- Bachelor's Degree, Law / J.D. degree, and active license to practice law in New York, Massachusetts or another state within the bank’s geographical footprint.
- 4-9 years’ experience practicing law in financial services and/or law firm.
- Entrepreneurial mindset to support a dynamic and growing bank.
- Ability to articulate and relay information in an effective and efficient manner.
- Ability to build strong relationships internally and externally.
- Ability to coach and guide others.
- Ability to define problems and collect relevant information.
- Ability to develop strategy and tactics for complex, high profile matters.
- Ability to effectively, efficiently and calmly manage multiple time-sensitive projects.
- Ability to present information clearly and effectively in written and oral form.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information.
- Team player with a desire and aptitude to work in a collaborative environment on a team of high-performing legal professionals.
- Excellent drafting, negotiating and counseling skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to provide sound, clear legal advice to senior executives and other senior leaders.
- Expertise handling government and regulatory inquiries and/or enforcement actions.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook required.
- Strong ability to identify and solve complex problems.
- Strong sense of urgency with the ability to meet deadlines.
Primary Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Other Locations: Massachusetts-Boston
Organization: Santander Bank, N.A.